Accidents happen anywhere, at any time. To prevent such incidents from happening, we should adapt appropriate precautionary measures. Apparently, even if you are spending an ordinary day in the comforts of your home, some kind of trouble may come knocking at your door. Take this case of an elderly woman residing near Round Rock in Texas, as reported by kvue.com:
AUSTIN — An elderly woman was robbed in the middle of the day at her home near Airport Boulevard and 52nd Street last Thursday.
The men told Waldine Stafford, 88, that they came by to fix something on her roof, and then the men took advantage of her kindness. Police say, unfortunately, they’ve seen this before. Stafford learned the hard way and now she hopes others can learn from her mistake.
The incident should serve to remind us that we have to be careful when dealing with obscure people who turn up out of nowhere. It pays to a keen observer and you shouldn’t just trust anybody who claims to be a professional of any sort. Above all, you shouldn’t let them into your home without an appointment or proof of legitimacy in the form of proper paperwork. How else would you know if a contractor is reliable and trustworthy?
The National Roofing Contractors Association forewarned homeowners who are planning to push with their roof repair or replacement project to take time in researching for credentials, and further offered these guidelines:
- Do not hesitate to ask for a business or contractor’s license. Although licensing requirements are quite varied in most states, your local licensing board will have this information for you.
- Ensure that the Round Rock roofer has a permanent address, a working phone number, and a detailed list of services. You may want to ask around if they are knowledgeable in what they offer.
- Ask for a detailed written proposal and examine it for job specifications. Be skeptical – and demand an explanation – if you came across a low-priced service.
- Make sure that the company is an active member or recognized by various well-established industry organizations and regional institutions.
- Be particular about the trainings that they have attended and passed. This can reflect on the quality of service that they can deliver.
While scams and other forms of dishonest gigs are roaming about, protecting yourself by minding these guidelines. Willi Roofing Services, a trusted company for roofing in Round Rock TX, commits to customer satisfaction in every way. The company has been in the industry for more than a decade, providing local homeowners and commercial property owners with high quality service. Trust your project to a contractor that has earned a GAF Master Elite certification, an honor that has been granted to only 3 percent of roofers in the country.
(Article Excerpt From Men claim to be roofers, rob elderly woman at her home, kvue.com, May 14, 2014)