Many fly-by-night contractors see a major storm or hurricane as an opportunity to earn money from unsuspecting homeowners who need roof repairs. Some of these unscrupulous roofers go from door to door to offer a no-obligation roof inspection and sell hard-to-resist deals. With their seemingly enthusiastic and helpful veneer, it’s easy to fall prey to their tactics.
Be watchful! Make sure the contractor working on your roofing in Round Rock TX is licensed by the state and properly certified by reliable manufacturers. To help we’ve listed five tips on hiring contractors so you can avoid roofing scams:
1) Ask for their license and certification. To be sure that the roofing company is legitimate and offers quality service, ask for their state license and manufacturer certification. Their license ensures that they meet government requirements to provide services, while the certification from manufacturers let you know they can, and do deliver quality services.
2) Don’t close the deal because of an attractive price offer: Many storm chasers will offer incredibly low rates and will pressure you to engage their services by saying the “promo” is about to end. This a common tactic used to force homeowners to sign a deal on the spot. If you’re interested with an offer, ask the contractor to give you time to review details of the contract or job before giving a down payment.
3) Look for references and reviews: Do a background check.With the Internet, it’s easy to check the reputation of your contractor. Do they have an established website with their detailed business information and client reviews? When possible, ask the contractors if they have past clients in your area. This way, you can check their work yourself and may be even have the chance to speak with their past clients.
4) Verify Info with the Better Business Bureau: The BBB is a good place to verify references and the business information of a contractor. You may call them or visit their website to check if there is any complaint filed against the roofer.
5) Request for a detailed contract: Your roofer must provide you with a contract including the final price quotation, work schedule, and coverage.This is very important to ensure that work will be delivered within the expected budget and time frame. It will also help you avoid unexpected costs.
There you have it! Remember these five essentials and don’t fall prey to common roofing scams. For your roofing in Round Rock, trust only a licensed and certified professional.
Has your area recently been hit by a hailstorm, windstorm, or hurricane? Is it time to have your roof inspected? For any roofing concerns, consult Willi Roofing Services. Founded in 2001, our company has accreditation from the BBB and certifications from leading manufacturers, including CertainTeed Roofing, GAF, and Owens Corning. For a free in-home estimate, call us at 512-394-8234 or fill out our contact form.